With this rapidly evolving condition in the world, the healthcare industry is going under tremendous pressure and demand as well. After the impact of COVID-19 all over the globe, people would have wanted to visit doctors and hospitals, but the terror of virus infection is holding a lot of them in their houses. Hence, the demand for a Healthcare App and online healthcare assistance is rapidly increasing. Healthcare Companies are now expanding their market as well by following numerous tactics and strategies.
Personalized healthcare assistance is slowly becoming the need of the hour. In this respect, healthcare apps can do wonders. From an Entrepreneurial point of view, health apps are going to be a great business opportunity while considering the current world scenario. However, there are many competing apps in the market like Kareo, Appointik, Medscape, Epocrates, and many more.
Still, there are a good number of opportunities to create your own online medicine app. Such healthcare apps can provide an excellent platform to all the users and the doctors who cannot personally visit clients for medical assistance. Healthcare technology can allow every patient to reach their preferred doctor in no time without the fear of being contaminated with the COVID-19 virus.
It will be a good business opportunity for those who look forward to building healthcare apps and providing doctor assistance to patients. With this, you might have started thinking about how the app can be built and what would be the cost of making a medical app. But, don’t stress yourself.
In this blog, we will discuss how the healthcare app can be built and its required development cost. Let us take a look further over the cost to build a healthcare app like Epocrates.
How Healthcare Apps like Epocrates, Prescribez Work?
As we all know, healthcare apps are nothing but a bridge between the doctor and the patient. Here, patients can look for their preferred doctor as per their requirements and can fix the appointments without physically visiting the doctor’s clinic or hospital.
So, if any patients are looking for a good Dentist, Dermatologist, Gynecologist, ENT Specialist, Physician, Pediatrician, Child Specialist, or any other specialist doctor nearby or in the city, then they can instantly go for a healthcare app like Epocrates and look for their requirements.
These types of medical apps will help every individual to connect with doctors and fix the appointments. The appointments can be fixed only with the certified and verified doctors of the chosen location. Epocrates Healthcare app is working effectively in the USA. It is very well taken forward with the trend of healthcare apps and making people more dependable over the app usage and covering the great amount of market as well.
The healthcare apps like Epocrates can offer numerous facilities to its users like Book Doctors, Book Diagnostic Labs for tests, View Information & Details of Clinic, get the Doctors & Diagnostic Labs fees, Check out Doctors & Diagnostic Labs Review, and many other informative details.
Such features and facilities in any health app can make it a success and an incredible platform for the users to interact with doctors as they get their queries sorted while booking a hassle-free appointment as well.
Key Features Healthcare App like Epocrates can Offer
Healthcare technology is evolving, and within a short period of time, it is evolving tremendously. Hence, healthcare apps and healthcare companies have a lot to offer to their users or customers. Let us take a look over key features the health apps can offer efficiently and effectively to their users.
- The mobile app for patients requires a quick and easy process of Login and Registration.
- The option tabs like Doctors, Spas, and Diagnostic Labs should be properly visible and easy to find for all types of users.
- Users/Patients can easily access all of his/her previous doctor’s appointments.
- The Patient can even upload his/her medical history documents to get the proper diagnosis from the respective doctor.
- The health app should provide the list of prescriptions given to the patient during the consultation.
- The users should be allowed to ask health-related questions to doctors without any extra charge.
- Allow easy search in the app based on Area, Doctor, Availability, and the type of Treatment or Specialist Doctor.
- Health App provides the user/patient to look into their preferred doctor’s qualification, experience, consultation charge, and feedback of the previous patients.
- The Online Medicine Apps can also have the facility to provide paid private online consultation sessions with the doctor.
- The Mobile Apps for patients can also have a dedicated reading and educational section for all its users, which provides exclusive health articles and tips by the health experts.
- Medical Apps also provide the service to make medicine orders online.
- The user should be allowed to cancel the appointment.
- The user can share the healthcare app with others through different modes.
- The healthcare app should allow the registered doctors to check the status of the appointments made by the patients.
- The doctors can edit their profiles on the requirement.
- Medical apps allow doctors to check each of their patient’s records and medical history.
- The doctors can also check their Total Earnings and Transaction History made through the app.
- The evolution of healthcare technology requires to have an add-on feature in the app to provide a live-chatting facility as well.
- The online payment facility is a must to allow advanced appointments through the medical app.
- It should provide a GPS or Map facility to guide patients to reach the location of the hospital or clinic without any hassle.
Functionalities and Features Affecting the Cost of Making a Medical App
The development cost of a healthcare app relies on the number of functionalities and features added to the application. The advanced features and good user experience in the medical app will only retain the user for a long time otherwise, the user will pick another option.
Therefore, not only the presentation matters but also the advanced functionalities and the key features are very important for a medical app to survive in the competitive market. Firstly, we learn about the functionalities and the features of the Online Medical App, which can affect the overall healthcare app development costs.
Functionalities that can Affect the Development Cost of a Healthcare App
- The Platform of the Application
The healthcare app can be developed into two different platforms i.e., iOS-based or Android-based, or both. It solely depends upon you and the audience you are focusing on. However, the cost of developing medical apps would be higher for Android than for the iOS-based platform.
- The Platform of the Application
- Size of the Application:
The bigger the size of the health app, the higher the development cost will be. The size of the application can be determined by the variety of features added to the application. Further in the blog, we will learn about the various features required in the online medicine app.
- Size of the Application:
- Design of the Application:
The design of the application decides the attraction of the user. The core objective of designing an application is to provide a brilliant user interface, great user experience, and engagement. Any developing company or developer must design an appropriate and catchy user interface. The more designed and beautiful the app appears, the higher will be the cost of making a medical app.
- Design of the Application:
The features are accessed by the admin or the owner of the healthcare app. It includes proper management of data, detailed analytics of the app activity, detailed report for the doctor, customer, and labs. The feature required by the Admin is one of the major responsible factors to analyze the development cost of a healthcare app.
Features that can affect the Development Cost of a Healthcare App
The cost to make a medical app or an online medicine app for booking appointments can be estimated on the following basic and advanced features.
- Dashboard for Patients:The patients should be facilitated in the healthcare app to do the advanced search with respect to the appropriate doctor based on their ailment. Apart from that, the patient can also directly filter the doctor based on it and other desired specifications. The medical app should only not include appointment fixing but also re-scheduling or cancellation of the appointment with the doctors. Also, users should be able to give ratings and feedback to the doctors based on their experience.
- Dashboard for Doctors:The doctors should provide detailed information in their profile, which includes work experience, speciality, educational background, medical registration, available working hours, consultation fees, and other required details as well. The doctors then can easily manage their appointments, paperless prescriptions, patient reports, payment details, and so on through the healthcare app.
- Sign-up/LoginNew and existing users have to Sign-up and Login respectively by providing the required information. Apart from that, implementing Social Media Sign-in is an advanced feature as it requires a handsome amount of time in associating social media in the app. Hence, this feature also contributes to defining the cost of making a medical app.
- GeolocationGeo-Location is a very effective and valuable feature for both the patients and doctors. It helps doctors and patients to access each other’s location via google map’s geolocation feature.
- Multi-Language SupportA healthcare app is used by a variety of people who follow different languages. Hence, the online medicine app requires the feature of multi-language support. The multi-language feature is quite typical to add, so it is also one of the features which add something in the development cost of a healthcare app.
- Payment GatewaysPayment gateways are a must for the healthcare app, as it requires online payment while looking for any assistance or facility. The higher the number of payment gateways you want to add to your app, the higher the cost of making a medical app.
- Push NotificationThe Push Notification feature will allow the Admin to send customized messages or notifications to its users. This will help users to be informed about any upcoming events related to various offers, the new addition of a doctor or specialist, and any other relevant information.
- In-App WalletLike Payment Gateways, the In-app Wallet facilitates users to make easy and instant payments. As a result, this advanced feature will definitely contribute to enhancing the healthcare app development costs.
- SearchThe search feature helps users to easily lookout for Doctors, Labs, Clinics, Hospitals, Medicines, and other relevant searches for the healthcare app. A requirement and basic feature for any app require a decent amount of time to design. This addition of features adds to the development cost of a healthcare app.
- Online Medicine PurchaseThe user should be allowed to order prescribed medicines online at a reasonable discounted offer, and do the home delivery of the ordered medicines. This additional feature of online medicine purchase will definitely add a handsome amount of expense in your budget for the online medicine app.
- OTP LoginOTP Login is a feature to enhance the security of the app and the user data while minimizing the chances of fraudulent transactions. Patients will receive a “One Time Password” (OTP) on their registered mobile number and have to enter the code to log in to their account. This is usually through mobile apps every time a user logins into a new device. Yet still, this additional and advanced feature will add a lot to the development cost of a healthcare app in your budget.
- Promo Code/Referral CodeThis feature will help in increasing the reachability of your healthcare app, like Epocrates. The user can share the referral code to their acquaintances, which they have to use at the time of sign up. As a result, when the new user will complete their first transaction, both of them will get some monetary rewards.
Technology & Development team involved in Developing Mobile Apps for Patients
After analyzing all the required features and the functionalities involved in the healthcare app, now it’s time to look for the appropriate technology required to develop the app. The required and chosen technology as well as the hired developers team or agency plays an important role in analyzing the development cost of a healthcare app.
Required Technology on which the Healthcare App can be Built ->
- Real-time Analytics: IBM, Apache Flink, Cisco, Spark, Hadoop.
- Online Payment System: PayPal, Stripe, Braintree, or E-Wallet.
- Push Notifications: Twilio, push.io.
- Cloud Environment: Google, Azure, and AWS.
- SMS, Voice, and Phone Verification: Twilio and Nexmo.
- Database: MongoDB, HBase, MailChimp Integration.
Development Team who is building the Medical Apps ->
Freelancers are a group of people hired individually to work on a single project. Looking for a qualified freelancer would be a very tedious task, and producing quality work from them would be a more difficult job for you.
With freelancers, it might be possible that you can save a few bucks but without a guarantee of the quality of the product and timely delivery. On the other hand, it can also be a possibility that you do high expenses and still didn’t get satisfactory results.
Development Agencies can help you in accurately building your dream project. Looking for a responsible and experienced development agency will take you some time but definitely produce a high-quality product. Going with a small team or a big team of experienced developers will depend on your budget. But they make sure to produce a high-quality product and fulfil your requirements while keeping the deadline in mind. The development prices of these types of apps will definitely vary from agency to agency. But, it is solely up to you, whom to choose. Whether you go for the quality and timely work or you go for a cheaper budget.
Required Time and Development Cost of a Healthcare App like Epocrates
Building mobile apps for patients requires dealing with a great number of individuals to schedule medical appointments with the aid of smartphones. These smart mobile healthcare apps are the most convenient way to find a doctor, have a consultation, and get feedback.
Based on various formats, the cost of making a medical app as Epocrates varies. The development cost of Android apps is comparatively higher than the iOS-based applications considering that the size of the application also plays an important role in determining the development cost of a healthcare app.
It is quite challenging to put the exact figure required in healthcare app development costs because of the numerous subjective determinants. So, here we take a range of prices that will help you get an idea of the medical app development and budget.
1. MVP Development
A Minimum Viable Product Development for the healthcare app will be a feasible option at the initial level. It is more than the basic version of the online medicine app. Though developing a basic version of a healthcare app will not be a fruitful idea, it would be just a waste of time and expenses.
The benefit of going with the concept of MVP development is that it can be directly introduced to the users in the market and can take feedback as well.
As it is a working model, you can easily update the medical app and enhance its features at frequent intervals. This will let you introduce your product without waiting for a longer period of time, and meanwhile, it will also help you build your market presence as well.
So, the overall cost required to build the MVP of a healthcare app like Epocrates will be about $15,000 to $30,000. The range of the budget is so much because of the variation in labor costs in different countries. In western countries, you might have to bear maximum expense whereas, in India, you can get the same quality product at a lower expense.
The MVP of healthcare apps will get available under an efficient team of developers in a time period of about 2-3 months. However, the time period also varies as it solely depends on the skill of developers and the team size working on the project.
2. Highly Complex App
Building a highly complex and quality healthcare app is a good option and attracts a good number of users. Though it might require a good marketing strategy as the final quality product needs to attract users in a short period of time. Comparatively, the complex medical app requires more time to build than MVP. So, it will give a lot of time in advance to do the marketing and promotion, and at the same time, build a good hype among future users.
The cost required to build a Highly Complex healthcare app like Epocrates will be about $30,000 to $40,000. It might also be more than this amount, which solely depends on your requirement, and the complexity of the healthcare app as well as the expense will also vary from country to country.
The overall time required to build the final and highly complex health app would be about 4-6 months. The overall time duration may also vary over the level of app complexity, and on the experience and team size of the development agency or company.
The Budget division for Healthcare App Development is as follows:
|Team Member||Duties||Monthly Cost|
|Project Manager||Builds the bridge between the team and the client to avoid communication gaps while ensuring the deadlines are met.||Free (No extra expenses required)|
|Developer||Develops the app by writing the codes and fixing the bugs.||$2000 to $4000 (Depends on Experience)|
|Back-End Developer||Maintains effective and uninterrupted communication between the server and database for the proper functioning of the application.||$1500 to $2500 (Depends on Experience)|
|Designer||Responsible for the appearance of the app as well as making sure to provide a user-friendly environment.||$1500 to $2500 (Depends on Experience)|
|Tester||Ensures the app performs as per the client’s requirement.||Free (No extra expenses required)|
After all such details, it may now give you the idea that finding the average cost is not only that matters but the building of app with quality of features and functionalities along with maintaining a proper budget. So first, finalize the medical app idea appropriately and then discuss it with a good developer or agency. It can adequately guide you in the specific budget on how you can get a good app along with the required and essential features.
If you are having such a business idea to enter into the healthcare business or any other business ideas you have in mind, then we can surely provide you with an excellent platform to reach your destination. For any assistance or business guidance, you can contact us at any time anywhere. We are here to assist you and ensure that we introduce your business plan to the market. Take a look over other success stories, which will definitely ease your decision as well as save time.