Table of content
As technology advances, there is an update for every software development stack. The MEAN stack is one of those software development stacks that have seen significant changes in the last few years.
With businesses and organizations looking to create dynamic websites and web applications, the MEAN stack has become a popular choice for development.
So, do you wish to know What is MEAN Stack? This guide will cover everything you need to know about the MEAN stack framework in 2022.
What is MEAN Stack Development?
The MEAN stack is a combination of four different technologies: MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS, and Node.js.
- MERN stack web development involves using all four of these technologies to create a complete web application.
- Each technology in the MEAN stack has its own unique benefits and features that make it an essential part of the stack.
- Together, these four technologies provide everything you need to develop a complete web application from start to finish.
We will explore all these technologies in detail later in this article.
What are the Benefits of Using MEAN Stack Technologies?
Another benefit of the MEAN stack is that it is very versatile. You can use the MEAN stack to develop a wide range of web applications, from simple websites to complex enterprise-level applications.
MEAN stack is also very scalable. Node.js, in particular, allows you to easily scale your application by adding more nodes to your system. This makes the MEAN stack ideal for developing large-scale applications.
Lastly, the MEAN stack is open source. This means that you can use all the technologies in the stack for free. You also have access to a large community of developers who can help you with your development.
What are the MEAN Stack Technologies?
Now that we know what MEAN stack is and what its benefits are, let’s take a closer look at each of the technologies in the stack and also MERN stack web development.
MongoDB is a powerful document-oriented database management system. It is perfect for storing large amounts of data. MongoDB uses a JSON-like format to store data, which makes it very easy to use.
- It also has an indexing system that makes data retrieval very fast. MongoDB is perfect for developing large-scale applications.
- The MongoDB framework is written in C++. This means that it is very fast and efficient. For instance, it can handle up to 50,000 reads and 15,000 writes per second.
- It also has a very rich set of features. For instance, it supports replica sets and sharding. This makes it very easy to scale your MongoDB database.
- Lastly, MongoDB is open source and has a large community of developers who can help you with your development. This means that you can use it for free.
- It also has a rich set of features that make MERN stack development more efficient. For instance, it supports multiple template engines, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs. These template engines can be used to generate HTML or XML.
- Express.js also has a very good routing system. This makes it easy to map different URLs to different controllers and actions.
It also has a large number of middleware modules that you can use to add extra functionality to your Express applications.
- It comprises some robust features that make a developer’s life more efficient. For instance, it supports two-way data binding, so you can easily update your model and view it at the same time.
- It also has a large number of built-in directives that you can use to add extra functionality to your Angular applications.
- For example, you can use the ng-repeat directive to easily create a list of items. As a result, you don’t have to write a lot of code to create a simple list.
One of the best applications of AngularJS is its support for animations. This makes it very easy to create animated user interfaces. For instance, you can use AngularJS to create a slideshow or an image gallery.
- Node.js has been an integral part of the MEAN stack since its inception. It helps you easily build scalable and fast web applications.
- Node.js also has a large number of modules that you can use to add extra functionality to your Node applications.
- For example, you can use the Express module to easily create a web server. You can also use the Mongoose module to easily connect to a MongoDB database.
One of the best things about Node.js is that its framework is constantly evolving. This means that you can always use the latest and greatest features in your Node applications.
Setting Up MEAN Stack Application
Now that we have covered the basics of each component in the MEAN stack, let’s see how to set up a MEAN stack application.
First, you need to install Node.js, MongoDB, Express.js, and AngularJS on your system. You can download these from their official websites.
Finally, you need to install the MEAN CLI tool. This tool helps you easily create and manage MEAN stack applications.
You can install the MEAN CLI tool by running the following command:
npm install -g mean-cli
After you have installed the MEAN CLI tool, you can create a new MEAN stack application by running the following command:
mean init my-app
This will create a new MEAN stack application in the my-app directory.
You can then start the application by running the following command:
cd my-app && npm start
The MEAN stack application will then be accessible at localhost:3000.
Now that we have covered the basics of each component in the MEAN stack, let’s see how to set up a MEAN stack application. To do this:
Create a website template. Visit the meanjs.org site as it allows you to create a stack template with a preview. Moreover, this site also provides the app structure with templates, allowing you to focus on the development. However, you will need access to GIT in order to work with the MERN full-stack development. You may have to update your GIT to prevent any errors that may arise during the execution.
MEAN Stack Framework Use Cases
Now that we have seen how to set up a MEAN stack application, let’s see some of the use cases for the MEAN stack.
One of the most popular use cases for MEAN stack is web applications. MEAN stack provides all the tools you need to easily create fast and scalable web applications. For example, you can use Express.js to easily create a web server. You can also use MongoDB to easily store data.
Another popular use case for MEAN stack is mobile applications. MEAN stack provides all the tools you need to easily create fast and scalable mobile applications. For example, you can use AngularJS to create a user interface easily. You can also use Node.js to easily create a backend server.
MEAN stack can be used to easily create cross-platform mobile applications using Cordova or React Native.
Finally, the MEAN stack can also be used for IoT applications. MEAN stack provides all the tools you need to easily create fast and scalable IoT applications. For example, you can use Node.js to easily connect devices to the internet. You can also use MongoDB to store data from IoT devices.